This time last year I was averaging around 2,000 – 3,000 steps a day. And then we went into lockdown.
You would have expected my steps to decrease even further. However, I had a secret weapon to motivate me. The Walk to Cambodia, a virtual fundraising and fitness event that runs throughout the month of April each year. Our goal is for our participants to collectively walk the distance from Australia to Cambodia whilst raising crucial funds for children’s education programs. Over the course of a month I was able to form good walking habits, and now, almost a year later, I average 6,000 – 7,000 steps a day. A vast improvement!
We have made some awesome additions to the walk this year, which we just know you will love. Here’s what’s involved:
- REGISTER for the walk through our website. You will first be prompted to create a fundraising page, then will register for the walk itself
- START STEPPING from 1st April and record your steps each day using a step counter or fitness tracker. You will be able to log these steps in your own portal through the Walk to Cambodia website.
- GET SOCIAL and share the badges you collect with your friends on social media and via email. Follow our @walktocambodia Instagram page, where you will get to virtually experience the locations you are walking to in Cambodia.
- FUNDRAISE using the tips in our participant’s pack. Every $120 you raise will support a child with a year of quality education. Donations over $2 are tax-deductible for your supporters.
- JOIN OUR COMMUNITY and participate in social walks across Australia. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to host your own!
- KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR INBOX AND OUR WEBSITE as we update you with the step progress, fundraising tally, new social walks and health tips.
- BE PREPARED TO WIN prizes for your fundraising efforts, most steps walked and best social media post.
Why are we doing this?
- Cambodia remains the poorest ASEAN country with 35% still living in multidimensional poverty
- Children and young people under 19 in Cambodia are generally amongst the poorest and constitute 45% of the total poor (UNDP 2018)
- While these figures may seem overwhelming, we can play our part in changing these statistics
- Quality education is key to alleviating inter-generational poverty
- Funds raised through The Walk to Cambodia will provide 200 Cambodian children living in poverty with English and Khmer (their native language) education for a full year
How to register?
The event is from 1 – 30 April 2021, and registrations are now open. Be sure to check out the details, as there are two steps involved!
- Set up your fundraising page with GiveNow.
- Head back to the registration page and click ‘register’ to register for the Walk to Cambodia
I hope you can join us for another fantastic Walk to Cambodia!